Monday, December 13, 2010

My Apology to Bill Maher


In my recent ode to the Ten Most Wicked Witches of the Left, I mentioned in passing that Bill Maher was the devil’s spawn, or something like that.

I am forced to submit a retraction.

In an astonishingly rare moment of lucidity, Maher recently made a statement that would have gotten him fired, were he employed by NPR. In noting that the name “Mohammed” has become the most popular boy name in Great Britain, he confessed to feeling alarm over the thought of Islam taking over the West.

Uh – WHAT did he say? Note: He didn’t just confess to a wee bit o’ fear related to planes blowing up (Juan Williams’ sin) – he actually confessed to alarm over the rise of Islam. Not the rise of Muslim extremist crazy loon terrorism – just the rise of Islam.

And here’s the (currently) most astonishing thing of all: when challenged by CNN on this statement, he did not back down. At the risk of our dear readers dropping dead from shock, allow me to share Mr. Bill Maher’s defense of Western culture (wait – did I just say “Maher’s defense of Western culture”? Excuse me… I’m feeling a bit dizzy):
And when I say Westerner, I mean someone who believes in the values that Western people believe in that a lot of the Muslim world does not. Like separation of church and state. Like equality of the sexes. Like respect for minorities, free elections, free speech, freedom to gather. These things are not just different from culture that don’ t have them… it’s better… I would like to keep those values here.
Did you get that? Our culture is BETTER.

How can this be? Are not all cultures equally worthy? The next thing you know, Maher will be espousing American Exceptionalism.

So my apologies to Bill Maher. Anyone willing to take on that issue in these times is worthy of some degree of respect. Of course, he’s still an arrogant jerk. And I’m pretty sure he’s still missing the larger point that the success of Western culture and values is deeply rooted in Judaism and Christianity. We didn’t get a better culture by accident. When he’s willing to concede that part of the truth, we’ll know he’s really seen the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment